How to get cover for your things or where to find our buildings insurance

We know the contents of your home holds personal value, as well as financial. In the event of you losing them, replacing your home contents could be costly.

That’s where home contents insurance can help. It can cover the costs of repairing or replacing your stuff if something goes wrong.

We highly recommend you get contents insurance for your home, as we only cover building insurance. Click below to find out more. 

We don't cover your personal belongings as part of your tenancy agreement.

If your things (your clothes, furniture, etc) get damaged, then you need insurance to get them replaced / fixed.

It’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind should the worst happen.

B3Living have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks who provide specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policies. My Home Contents Insurance is a specialist insurance scheme provided by Thistle Tenant Risks and all tenants living in social and affordable housing are eligible to apply.

My Home Contents Insurance scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

  • Apply over the phone or complete an application form
  • Covers theft, water damage, fire and many more household risks
  • Covers tenants improvements (up to £2000 or 20% of the sum insured, whichever is the greatest)
  • Covers theft or attempted theft of contents in sheds, outbuildings and garages (up to £3,000)
  • Covers damage to external glazing for which you are responsible
  • Covers replacement and installation of locks for outside doors or windows and alarms, if keys are lost or stolen
  • You don’t need to have a special door or window locks (just a lockable front door)
  • Flexible regular Pay-As-You-Go payment options (fortnightly and monthly premiums include a transaction charge).

Thistle Tenant Risks Contents Insurance has been designed to meet the demands and needs of social housing residents looking to purchase home contents insurance and Thistle have approached a single insurer Great Lakes Insurance UK Ltd. The cover is subject to the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions contained in the Policy Wording, which you should read carefully.  The premiums and payment methods available are shown on the rate card here.  Please note fortnightly and monthly premiums include a transaction change.

If you are unsure whether this insurance policy is right for you please contact Thistle Tenant Risks who will be happy to help with your queries.

If you’d like to apply for home contents insurance, you can do so by completing an application form or by calling Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7288. Alternatively, visit for more information. Prior to completing the application form, please review the Thistle Insurance Services Terms of Business Agreement and Insurance Product Information Document. These documents give you important information on your rights and how we deal with you and your insurance and key information regarding the insurance cover.  Please note that all Tenant Risks business is arranged on a non-advised basis. This means that you will be provided with the key information to be able to make an informed decision on which cover is appropriate for your needs.

It is always the intention to give You the best possible service but if You do have any questions or concerns about this insurance or the handling of a claim You should follow the procedure.

A copy of Thistle Insurance Services complaint’s procedure is available on request. For additional information, view our complaints page

The National Housing Federation working in partnership with Thistle Insurance Services Ltd. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419.

Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.

Our Data Protection Privacy Policy is online at

We insure the building where you live. This is because we are still responsible for the upkeep, repair and maintenance of the structure and communal areas and it would be very difficult to have more than one insurance company.

You pay for the buildings insurance within your annual service charge.

Please read the summary of cover that is sent to you annually and provides contact details for making a claim. 

Buildings insurance summary of cover for shared owners and leaseholders 2024

Buildings insurance summary of cover for shared owners and leaseholders 2023

Our policy does not cover the contents of your flat in any way. We do recommend that you arrange insurance to cover your contents. You can get further advice from your bank or building society or from an insurance broker.

If you sublet your property you may need additional landlord's insurance.

Related Documents

Winter weather
(pdf 185.8KB)
Summary of cover
(pdf 395.6KB)
Rate card
(pdf 79.6KB)